After a 20-day hiatus from blogging, I'm back. It's been a busy July. No real post for now, but I've had some inquiries, along the line of...all okay? Yes, all is fine. Yesterday we celebrated the Baby's first birthday. How fast a year goes!
Sunday, July 27, 2008
Sunday, July 06, 2008
There is so much to write about, and some how I've managed to wait until it was tomorrow, again. It's too late to write anything properly. This past week has been a blur of food and visitors and my trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up. I still don't have an answer for that, but I do know some new things about food.
1) Country-style ribs from Safeway are not ribs. They are pork shoulder cut into rib-shaped slabs. They are, however very tasty barbequed, and don't take nearly the same amount of long, slow cooking as regular ribs. I don't know why though. Maybe if they were cooked long and slow they'd be even better?
2) Cooking country-style ribs in the oven wrapped in foil with braising liquid for a long, slow period isn't nearly as good as grilling them outside, over hickory chips.
3) S'mores are just as good made in the microwave as over the 'que. And faster.
4) Dim sum is normally a brunch thing. Don't show up at 4pm in Chinatown expecting dim sum to be served...anywhere.
5) Duck is very tasty. Duck five ways is even better.
6) Babies like duck broth.
7) Husbands like a never-ending supply of chocolate-chip cookies.
8) Homemade vanilla ice cream is not appreciated by four-year olds.
9) Barilla Plus is a great pasta to feed to kids--fiber, protein and omega-3s.
10) The Bug knows that he likes calamari with tentacles. Seriously! I still won't touch the stuff.
Oh. I'm tired. Should that be the title of my blog? Seriously....