Sunday, June 22, 2008

Fires and Ice Cream


There's a large wild fire burning out of control near my house. The Bug and I saw the smoke right after it started yesterday. We were out at the local produce shack and the Bug said, look--it looks like a volcano! And it did. I realized as we were driving home that it was on the ridge line about five miles from our house. Right now the region is in voluntary evacuations, so we're packing up the stuff we need and love so we can be ready at a moment's notice.

Since it's so smoky, we can't enjoy the nice weather outside. I think we'll watch movies and I'm going to make vanilla bean ice cream. We had steak and eggs and grilled vegetables for brunch--something I *never* do. I figured if we had to evacuate, at least we'd have a hearty meal under our belts.

2 comments:

Mary deB said...

It makes a good picture, but I hope it doesn't come any closer!

75 Pounds Lost said...

I'm trying to figure out if I should go into work or not--as I live 45 miles from work. It's now 40% contained, and it's super smokey down here in the Valley this morning. I can't see *what's* going on!